Toastmasters in Pardubice
Many of us who are already familiar with Toastmasters International, an organization that provides “a mutually supportive and positive learning environment in which every member has the opportunity to develop communication and leadership skills, which in turn foster self-confidence and personal growth”.Although Toastmasters International has about 190 000 members in 9 500 clubs in 78 countries, I never expected to find English-speaking Toastmasters club in Pardubice.
In early June I had the pleasure of attending a Monday evening club meeting organized by the Pardubice Enthusiasts as well an open-air public meeting, Matinee with European Speakers. Impressed by the public speaking skills of the members and touched by their warm welcome, I planned to join the Pardubice Enthusiasts Club by the fall. Thankfully, it looks like I won’t have to make a weekly drive to Pardubice as a Prague Toastmasters Club is expected to be established by this fall. Expect more details in my September newsletter.
Executive Away Days
Take an Executive Time Out this summer! Treat yourself to 28 unique hours in which to relax both mind and body. Set in a beautiful castle outside of Prague, a diverse program of activities will inspire you to gain insights yourself and contemplate your work/life balance while enjoying massages, one-to-one discussions and wonderful food.
During the program, you will focus on a range of issues, including self-presentation, managing emotions and non-traditional stress management. You will also be introduced to techniques that will help you to better coach and inspire direct reports and better meet the challenges of your demanding lifestyle.For full details on the program in English, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 603 151 550.
Executive Away Days are organized by the Prague Coaching Club. Karin Genton-L’Epée and Annette Reissfelder founded the Prague Coaching Club as a development forum for professional managers. Coming from two distinctive European cultures, Annette and Karin use their respective approaches and experience to take a creative look at some of the most pressing issues facing leaders and managers today.
For more information about activities organized by the Prague Coaching Club, contact Karin.
|July 12||WIB Women in Business dinner at Mlynec|
|July 14/15||Executive Away Day|
|July 21||Intercultural Power Lunch: Emotions at Work Part I|
|August 2||WIB Women in Business dinner at Mlynec|
|August 18/19||Executive Away Day|
|August 25||Intercultural Power Lunch: Emotions at Work Part II|
|September 6||WIB Women in Business dinner at Mlynec|
|September 8||Intercultural Power Lunch: Men & Women at Work|
Communication Tip of the Month: 10 Tips for successful public speaking from the Toastmasters International (www.toastmasters.org)
Feeling nervous before giving a speech is natural and healthy. It shows you care about doing well. But too much nervousness can be detrimental. Here’s how you can control your nerves and make effective, memorable presentations.
- Know the room: Be familiar with the place in which you will speak
- Know the audience: Greet some of the audience as they arrive
- Know your material: Practice your speech and revise it if necessary
- Relax: Ease tension by doing exercise
- Visualize yourself giving your speech: Imagine yourself speaking, your voice loud, clear and assured.
- Realize that people want you to succeed: Audiences want you to be interesting, stimulating, informative and entertaining
- Don’t apologize: If you mention your nervousness or apologize for any problems you think you have with your speech, you may be calling the audience’s attention to something they hadn’t noticed.
- Concentrate on the message – not the medium: Focus your attention away from your own anxieties and outwardly toward your message and your audience.
- Turn nervousness into positive energy: Harness your nervous energy and transform it into vitality and enthusiasm.
- Gain experience: Experience builds the confidence that is the key to effective speaking. Toastmasters can provide the experience you need.